Kemerovo State University was founded in 1974. The University has gone through several stages of its development from a small provincial Pedagogical College to one of the largest universities in Siberia.
Kemerovo State University traces its history back to the Pedagogical College (later renamed the pedagogical College), organized in 1928 to train primary school teachers and pioneer counselors. In 1949, Kemerovo Teachers’ Institute was opened on the base of the College, and in 1953, it received the status of the Kemerovo State Pedagogical Institute. In 1974, the Pedagogical Institute was reorganized into Kemerovo State University University.